The GEL-Kayano 22 – our most popular premium stability fit from ASICS.
We caught up with one of our TAF team runners for their first review of the new Kayano, featuring exclusive colours only at The Athlete’s Foot.
ASICS Mens GEL-Kayano 22 in Black/Silver/Flash Yellow ASICS Womens GEL-Kayano 22 in Black/Silver/Pink Glow
Official Fit Category: Stability
Best suited for: Mild Overpronators
Feels like: Cushioned / Mild Stability
Excellent for: Road Running
BEST feature of the Gel-Kayano 22?
It’s super comfortable – it feels snug on the foot, supportive yet not too bulky or heavy. As soon as I put them on, I felt completely comfortable – I actually ran longer than expected on their first test run (usually I’ll only run 3-4k in a new pair of shoes but I easily kept going in these).
How does the GEL-Kayano 22 differ from other shoes you’ve tried?
I’ve run in the adidas Adistar boost, Mizuno Inspire and Brooks Adrenaline previously. I feel that the GEL-Kayano 22 offers similar stability to the Mizuno Inspire / Brooks Adrenaline but, it gives me a higher level of cushioning while still maintaining adequate support. I also love the colours – the Black/Pink combo is exclusively available at The Athlete’s Foot so you won’t see it on many runners out there!
What type of runs are you wearing the Kayano for?
I’m using the GEL-Kayano 22 for longer road running, I’m preparing for a Half Marathon coming up in a couple of weeks, so my runs are slightly longer at the moment. I’ve used the GEL-Kayano for long runs as well as some shorter hill/stair sessions and for strength workouts – I would consider this shoe to be the perfect all rounder.
New features with the ASICS GEL-Kayano 22:
- More breathability & Stability in the upper: the upper has received a strong update with ASICS’ new jacquard mesh and strengthened Guidance Trusstic for comfort and support.
- Greater flexibility during the run – the forefoot construction of the GEL-Kayano 22 has changed slightly from the GEL-Kayano 21, offering more flexibility from heel to toe off.
- Increased rearfoot comfort and support – new external heel counter which provides a more secure wrap
Excellent Features that return to the GEL-Kayano 22:
- The Fluid Ride midsole provides an excellent cushioned feeling underfoot (initially introduced in the GEL-Kayano 20). The ASICS GEL units are also featured to slow down the actual speed of pronation. This helps reduce the stress on tissues and joints during a run.
- Dynamic Duomax™ system – the arch support system from ASICS that provides stability based on when and how much the runner needs
The first RUN in GEL-Kayano 22 – how did it go?
The GEL-Kayano 22 felt great on the foot from the minute I put it on. I wasn’t thinking about the shoes at all which is a great sign, for me, I can just put on the GEL-Kayano and run, no irritations and no issues! It was a great feeling. It is also extremely light for the amount of support & cushioning it gives.
Your final verdict on the ASICS GEL-Kayano 22:
To me, the GEL-Kayano 22 is a great all rounder! They have enough cushioning and support, but are still light enough for race day. I’m really enjoying ASICS and the GEL-Kayano 22. For my current running week I’m rotating between the Asics GEL-Kayano & adidas Adistar boost for longer runs & the ASICS Feather Glide for my speed/faster sessions.